Friday, May 12, 2006

God's Gift of Music

Have you ever stopped to consider the breathtaking creation of music? How music has an effect on your memory? How music has an affect on your countenance? What a gift God has given you and me! You and I can sing, praise, extol, and simply make a joyful noise before our heavenly father. To think music was created (for me) and now I can participate in God’s creation. God’s gift of music affects me personally in so many ways as I am sure it does you. Obviously, music has an effect on our physical bodies. When I hear music, almost instinctively my foot subconsciously begins to tap. This action is only one simple illustration of many that show the effect music has on my body. I do not want to look into the controversial effects of music (lifting your hands or dancing, not my place), but instead the joys that music has on our material bodies. God created music to lift up our hearts and to turn our focus on Him, but at the same time music exhilarates our being and encourages us bodily. There is more…

What about the emotional affect on our souls? After moving to Wisconsin from Michigan I struggled with making new friends and basically opening a new chapter of my life. And I still remember lying in bed nearly every night those first few weeks singing “Lord, I Need You.” Singing and weeping. My ten year old mind could not comprehend why God would move me from my home, my birthplace, my friends, my church, and move me from all I knew. The struggle of a little kid trying to make friends again was deep. I felt alone. So I would sing the song “Lord, I Need You” many times weeping. But He heard my cry and the music would life my soul. Then peacefully I would know this truth: God was near and he held my tears in his hands. How about you? How has music lifted your soul? I had a friend who lost her dad when she was in junior high. She would always play the piano when she would miss her dad. It always helped. Music has an effect on our emotions. There is more…

The spiritual effect of music often brings light to our eyes. God created music to praise him. I read three Psalms yesterday for my daily bible reading; Psalm 28, Psalm 42, Psalm 43. All three are not specifically teaching praise worship to God, but in the mist of trouble, of fleeting days, of evil within the hearts of men, and of souls cast down, each Psalm stops to thanks and to praise God.

- Psalm 28:7b “My heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.”

- Psalm 42:11b “Hope in God; for I shall again praise him.”

- Psalm 43:4b “And I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God.”

Music should be full of thanks and praise to God. Now after we have considered music on earth, imagine what the music will be like in heaven. Music Divine. Some day we will be surrounded with glorious, overwhelming sounds that will flood our ears. Magnificent day! Remember the joy of music, today! I found another s
ong that I read through, Love lifted me, words by James Rowe.

I was sinking deep in sin, far from the peaceful shore, Very deeply stained within, sinking to rise no more, But the Master of the sea, heard my despairing cry, From the waters lifted me, now safe am I.
Love lifted me! Love lifted me! When nothing else could help. Love lifted me!

All my heart to Him I give, ever to Him I'll cling In His blessèd presence live, ever His praises sing, Love so mighty and so true, merits my soul's best songs, Faithful, loving service too, to Him belongs.

Love lifted me! Love lifted me! When nothing else could help. Love lifted me!

Souls in danger look above, Jesus completely saves, He will lift you by His love, out of the angry waves. He's the Master of the sea, billows His will obey, He your Saviour wants to be, be saved today.

Love lifted me! Love lifted me! When nothing else could help. Love lifted me!

2 comments:

Noah said...

It is Finished

The words and music of this song were such a blessing to write as I went through some really rough times this last year. Everytime I would take to the computer to put some more notes on it, as I would meditate on the words, God would remind me that His sovereign hand was in all of it. One day, we will hear Christ cry, "It is finished!" one last time (Rev. 21:6).... Even now, in light of our most recent news, I cannot wait for that. COME QUICKLY, LORD JESUS!

jules said...

good insight. thanks jason, have a good weekend!