Saturday, October 13, 2007

Wisdom From Coach


First of all, those who know me recognize that I love Michigan Wolverine football. And most who know I love Michigan Wolverine football also know that I am not too keen on Lloyd Carr. But maybe I’m too harsh on the old man. Yes, Michigan struggled at the beginning of this year, but how you start is never as important as how you finish. During a press conference a week ago he was asked if he learned anything about himself from the first half of this year. In response, Carr said, "No, not really. I think no matter what profession you're in or what you're doing, you're always learning, because if you're not learning, if you aren't getting better, you're regressing.” I thought, “Hmm…that was good.”


I find this concept rings true in my spiritual life. Paul says we are to forget past failures (and successes) and press toward the mark (Phil. 3:14). If I am not pressing on and growing in Christ, then I find myself “regressing” in my daily walk. Putting off my Bible reading for school, fun, or sleep is more than standing still. It is falling back (even if I feel ok). So this just reminded me how important it is to forget past failures and press on. Do not neglect spiritual disciplines. Grow up in Christ.


4 comments:

adam said...

so true, i always find myself being content just chillin in the same state that im in, but in reality im falling back fast. Praise God that He calls us back to Himself and doesnt give up on us. thanks for posting bro.

The Harrisons said...

Good thoughts Jas - we miss you!

Jacob Hantla said...

Thanks for the link

Lydia said...

heya Jason, I still thoroughly enjoy reading what you're learning. I read the blog on singleness, and yes- what a special, awesome time of life it is! I'm SO thankful to be single as I'm here at college, because it means that I can cultivate friendships with both the guys and girls without a worry. I have time to work/study/have fun/ and the occasional thing called sleep... :) College is great! I'm praying for you to continue growing and never be content to sit still... press on! :)