Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Forgiveness Sets Us Free

Think of David and Christian from Pilgrim's Progress and of the joy they were feeling when their burdens fell off their shoulders. Think of the joy David was feeling when he composed the first two verses of Psalm 32,

1 Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. 2 Blessed is the man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.

After two years of struggling with sin and resisting confession (v. 3, 4), David finally gave up and gave his sin over to God. He pleads guilty before God to his sin with Bathsheba!

5 I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity;I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD," and you forgave the iniquity of my sin.

The release was no simple release. David during this time prays Psalm 51 and God forgives him. David was set free. He was not set free of the consequences as we see throughout the rest of David’s life, but he was set free from the guilt. No more hiding. No more reasoning. No more broken fellowship. No more running. David came and confessed his transgressions to God. The result is joy. Incomparable Joy!

So often I fight guilt in my own strength. I try to run from my guilt, or I try to reason my guilt away. All my efforts fail. Confess and God will forgive. Christ will take our burdens far away, as he did for Christian. If I only realized this truth: Forgiveness Sets Us Free.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 comment:

Noah said...

This is a link to a great message from Pastor Loggans. It's just text, unfortunately, but if you wanted to, you could probably get Mr. Munyon to get you a wave file of it.

Freedom of Forgiveness