Monday, August 13, 2007

So Walk

I am so thankful for what God has done this summer in my life in spite of my failures. God transformed and quickened my walk with Him, and the best part of it is He is not done yet.

I've learned (though still "prone to forget") too many lessons to share all of them, but I will share a few:

1) My spiritual growth depends on my obedience to God. This includes obeying his commands, doing his will, and not neglecting spiritual disciplines. So often, I almost think that waiting on God is waiting on God to work, when in reality God's power is always available (Phil. 2:13). It is me who necessitates a heart yielding obedience to the Spirit, for the same power of God that was in Abraham, Moses, and Jeremiah is available to me. Oh, how often I blame my lack of growth on God and circumstances while overlooking my desperate weakness and disobedience. Father, let me yield to Your working.

2) Trusting God means I place no trust in myself. I have repeatedly said, "I trust God, but I just do not trust myself." Now I see how this is actually not putting my full trust in God. If I put my trust in God as the my creator, I would trust Him for my weaknesses and failures (1 Cor. 12:9). Thus, I would be confident even joyful in my deficiencies. Father, let me know Your faithfulness over my spiritual infidelity.

3) Feelings can be misleading, and decisions should be made based on the premise of truth, not emotions. This is not to say that God does not employ our emotions in life, but that feeling alone should never determine our actions. My mind must meditate on things that are true (Phil. 4:8). Father, let me live in Your truth, not in my fleeting emotions.

4) Only God satisfies (Psalm 73:24-25). "It is not that we don't want God," says Josh Harris, "but we want God and something else." Below are some lyrics from a popular Christian song by Chris Tomlin (1,4 - picked up from Josh Harris):

All of You is more than enough for all of me
For every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with Your love
And all I have in You is more than enough

More than all I want
More than all I need
You are more than enough for me
More than all I know
More than all I can say
You are more than enough for me

Father, let me be satisfied in Your presence alone.

5) God is good all the time (Psalm 84:11). Whether sunshine or rain, God loves with a pure love. Thus, I should trust him no matter where I am, what I am going through, or how I am feeling. Father, let me appreciate Your goodness to me.

Thank You, O God, for changing me this summer. Now, help me not to live in the past, but in the present realizing "obedience is never a permanent state." And so let me walk. Crown Him with many crowns. Amen.

"As ye have therefore receive Christ Jesus the Lord so walk ye in him." Col. 2:6

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dearest brother from another mother (who is now my fbook friend), it's encouraging to hear what the Spirit's been doing in you this summer. glad that you were open to be taught, be led, and be changed. and it's about time that you wrote something! enough of this silly posting of poems and songs! they're good and that, but they're not written by the one and only harry! hey, so, i have a futon in my house. it's for people to sleep on when they come visit me...

Lydia said...

glad you updated, and wow.. it's kinda nice knowing I'm not the only one learning all that sorta stuff... (what you wrote seemed very similar to what God's been working on me...)

anyway- thanks for continuing to be a blessing, and being a guy constantly seeking the Lord. (there are too few nowadays!)

I'm praying for ya!

jules said...

hey that was great to hear about jason! it was so fun visiting everyone up there this summer! there really is nothing quite like a summer spent up there counseling.
thanks for sharing. . .