Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Keep Your Life Free

Beginnings are extraordinary. This week, the start of my fifth semester of college, I am opening a new study/reading of the book of Hebrews. Already, God has spoken through the reading of this New Testament book. I am looking forward to what God is going to do with this study. It could not come at better time.

Although I am planning on reading through the book several times, I finished it today. This is some of what I read:

5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." 6 So we can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear;what can man do to me?"

Lately, I have found myself desiring material things: clothes, shoes, computers, etc. This exposes my heart; I am not satisfied enough in Christ. In other words, I am trying to satisfy my soul with money and possessions instead of satisfying it with Christ. Here is where Hebrews comes in. “Free from love of money,” says the author, “Be content with what you have.” Why? “He has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’ So now we can say with confidence, “God, You are my helper. You will take care of me! Why should I fear? “What can man do to me?” And there it is. Why do I struggle so much with loving money and things? I fear man more than I fear God. May God show me my sin and not leave me in my fear.


Check Out My Shared Items

1 comment:

The Harrisons said...

Yeah - know how ya feel. Everyone down here seems to have lovely houses and stuff and it is hard to focus on Christ and how much he has given us in himself nevermind all the material blessings he has given us on top of that! He really is good to us despite our selfishness!
Karen